Sunday, May 2, 2010

Painting the House Green

Well not really, but we are going green for a lot of products for cleaners and baby supplies. Why? For several reasons.

Firstly, there are chemicals that as a pregnant woman I just should not be handling and as you know I have this thing about obsessively cleaning the house (although not always where or when we need it...) and I just could not live without my organic all-purpose wipes that are free of harmful chemicals so I can just grab them, without having to locate the gloves first, and clean up whatever contamination is bugging me.

Secondly, for a baby I do not want dangerous chemicals around that they could potentially get into. Yes I know, I know, I know that you have to lock drawers and cabinets but at the same time who knows of a single toddler that hasn't figured out how to do something they aren't supposed to? Anybody? No? That's what I thought.

And Finally, because it makes me feel good. Not that I'm in the artsy-fartsy-well-funded-keep-up-with-the-Joneses-class (far from it actually) but I like feeling like this is one health trend that (a) is not only good for your health, but is also (b) good for the environment without feeling like you have to preach a "holier-than-thou" message about your recycling, energy-saving, habits in order to feel included in something that puts you in a slightly better standing than the average consumer.

Speaking of great products, The Seventh Generation line has a "Natural Baby Kit" of which I found the details of from Alternative Housewife (one of the blogs I publicly follow). This includes:

  • Seventh Generation natural paper towels.
  • Seventh Generation all purpose cleaner.
  • Seventh Generation baby wipes (tub).
  • Seventh Generation baby wipes (refill pack).
  • Seventh Generation multi-surface cleaner/disinfectant.
  • Seventh Generation bathroom cleaner/disinfectant.
  • Seventh Generation disinfecting surface wipes.
  • Seventh Generation baby laundry detergent.
  • Seventh Generation diapers (in your choice of size).
  • Seventh Generation reusable shopping bag.


And now I just with I could somehow register for this on my baby registry, ha!



2 comments:

  1. If you register on Amazon.com they have a universal registry button you add to your browser and you can add anything from any site. AMAZING!!!

    We too are making the switch to green. Baking soda & vinegar are amazing & cheap cleaning products!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks! I will definitely be taking advantage of that. And congrats on switching to green. It was a BIG decision and we are still in the process of transitioning over our products, but the smell is better (I find), it's less caustic which is great (I am exposed to enough caustic chemicals/illnesses at work), and really if you moderate your use to be effective it doesn't cost much (if any) more than regular supplies.

    ReplyDelete